GENEVA LAKE ENVIRONMENTAL AGENCY (GLEA)
WILLIAMS BAY, WISCONSIN
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MONTHLY MEETING
Thursday October 15, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE, the monthly meeting of the Geneva Lake Environmental Agency’s Board of Directors will be held as a Zoom meeting on Thursday October 15, 2020 beginning at 6:30 p.m. If interested in linking into the meeting contact the GLEA at email@example.com and leave an email address that we can send the link to.
THE FOLLOWING AGENDA ITEMS NEED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTION.
Call Meeting of GLEA Board of Directors to Order – Chairman L. Lundberg.
1. Approve minutes of August 20 meeting.
2. Monthly Review Items:
a. Action on bookkeeper’s Income Statement – August and September 2020.
b. Action on Bookkeeper’s Balance Sheet – August and September 2020.
c. Bookkeeper’s Disbursement Report –August and September 2020.
d. Bookkeeper’s ongoing Donation Report as of September 2020.
e. Action on Staff Report:
f. Director’s report for Aug, Sept, Oct. 2020
Discussion and possible action on the following Business.
Clean Boat Clean Waters inspections and Next year.
2021 shoreline meander SSW survey
Starry Stonewort management,
Review of hand pulling results.
Group meeting for future strategy.
5.. Trinke lagoon, hand pulling and chemical treatment.
within Geneva Lake.
6. Big Foot Creek Watershed Study, final sampling, and report prep.
7. Results, Private Well testing program.
8. Summary of 2020 CBCW
9. Summary results of Boat Count
10. Results of beach testing.
11. Future Zebra mussel studies.
12. GLEA’s future
a. 2021 budget
b. GLEA staff.
Set next meeting date.
Posted: 10/12/20 office and website .https://www.genevalakemanagement.com/
Theodore Peters, Director,
GENEVA LAKE ENVIRONMENTAL AGENCY
WILLIAMS BAY, WISCONSIN
Board of Director’s Meeting Official Minutes.
October 15, 2020
A Zoom GLEA board meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm, Thursday August 20, 2020 by acting Chair J. Lovell.
Members Present via Zoom: M.J. Fesenmaier (LG), T. O’Neill J. Lovell ( Wal. Twn.), P. Kenny (Fontana).
Also present via Zoom: Ted Peters (director), D. Malmin (Guest). Brad Wilson, (WI DNR warden)
Members Absent: J. McMannamy (WB), R. Pappas (Fontana),
Attempted to attend but could not get in: B. Whiting,( Linn) Weiss (Linn) J. Cavanagh (guest )
Motion by P. Kenny to accept the August 20, 2020 minutes. CU.
2. Monthly review items.
a. P. Kenny moved to accept the bookkeeper’s Income statement for August and September 2020. CU
b. P. Kenny moved to accept the Balance Sheet for August September 2020. CU.
c. Peters mentioned that the CD worth $20,098.99 was up in November and the best rate available was 0.55%. Motion by P. Kenny to role it over to at 0.55%. CU
c. The disbursement Report for August and September were reviewed.
d. The running total donation report was also reviewed. Peters mentioned that the annual mailing donation were starting to come in.
e. M. J. Fesenmaier motioned to accept the staff reports. CU.
Discussion and action on Old Business:
1. Peters introduced B. Wilson who discussed fishing tournaments from a legal perspective. He discussed when and what is required to hold a permit, including number of participants, prizes, number of boats and species of fish. He also discussed what is required after the tournament and the new concept of virtual tournaments. He did not address impacts on fisheries. For more questions he suggested visiting the DNR web site on fishing tournaments at
2. Peters gave a summary of numbers regarding the Clean Boats Clean Water program on Geneva Lake for 2020. He will be submitting a final report along with closing out the DNR grant for CBCW.
3. Peters presented the case to do a shoreline meander survey in 2021 instead of a PI survey. Motion by P. Kenny to have Peters explore conducting a lake wide meander survey in 2021 at a cost not to exceed $5,000. CU.
4. Peters gave an update on starry stonewort management including an overview of the 2020 hand pulling results, his proposal for a winter meeting of GLEA, DNR and Trinke POA, 2021 Trinke chemical treatment and hand pulling, and what to do with the lake populations. Dep[ending if nay new populations are found, he recommends focusing on the Trinke lagoon and its outlet and monitoring the population in 14 ft of water and see what happens. Discussion included exploring the possibility of benthic barriers with native plants.
5. An update on the Big Foot Creek Watershed study was discussed. A monthly sampling and a storm sampling remain. A final report is expected before the year’s end
6. The 2020 private well testing is completed. Results similar as in the past. No E-coli and no nitrate exceedances in any of the 13 wells tested.
7. Discussion on CBCW for 2021. M.J. Fesenmaier moved to conduct CBCW boat inspection in 2021 with Peters to explore if funding is available and to develop a staffing plan.
8. An overview of the beach testing was discussed. No closing or advisory exceedance were recorded at any of the municipal beach sites tested in 2020.
9. P. Kenny moved to conduct the benthic littoral macro-invert survey in 2021. CU
10. The GLEA 2021 preliminary budget was discussed with its implications on workload and staff for 2021. Since nothing has been heard about the increase in per community increase and that it has worked its way through four of the five communities it appears that it will be approved by the communities.
11. The future of GLEA and Geneva Lake’s management was discussed. He felt that things are changing and the perhaps the GLEA will not be the lead lake management entity in the future. He expressed his concern that the GLEA continue to do good science and to use it in the decision making of lake management, to remain transparent and to maintain a working relationship with the Geneva Lake Communities. Peters was directed to put together a job discretion for the position and to send it to the Wisconsin League of Municipalities and Wisconsin Towns Association.
Next meeting set for December 17, 2020 with place and type to be determined.
Motion to adjourn by P. Kenny at 7:43. pm.
Dated October 19, 2020. Upon approval, posted at the GLEA office and website
These minutes were recorded and transcribed by Theodore W. Peters, Director GLEA.