GENEVA LAKE ENVIRONMENTAL AGENCY (GLEA)
WILLIAMS BAY, WISCONSIN
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MONTHLY MEETING
Thursday June 18, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE, the monthly meeting of the Geneva Lake Environmental Agency’s Board of Directors will been held Thursday June 18, 2020 beginning at 6:30 p.m., The meeting will be held in the Lecture Center of Williams Bay High School. Social distancing will be enforced.
THE FOLLOWING AGENDA ITEMS NEED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTION.
Call Meeting of GLEA Board of Directors to Order – Chairman L. Lundberg.
Introduction of new members.
1. Election of Officers
2. Approve minutes for meetings held February 20, 2020.
3. Monthly Review Items:
a. Action on bookkeeper’s Income Statement – February, March, April and May 2020.
b. Action on Bookkeeper’s Balance Sheet – February, March, April and May 2020.
c. Bookkeeper’s Disbursement Report – February, March, April and May 2020.
d. Bookkeeper’s ongoing Donation Report, May 2020.
4. Action on Staff Report:
a. Director’s report for March - June 2020
b. Introduction of summer Lake Management Assist. Dan Orliaro
Discussion and possible action on the following items.
1. Update on grants.
a. Clean Boats, Clean Waters
ii. start-up date
b. Geneva Lake Association's grant.
c. Lake Geneva Garden Club grant.
2. Starry Stonewort
a. Hand pulling
b. Trinke lagoon chemical treatment
3. Aquatic plant PI survey
4. Public and Private Beach sampling
5. Big Foot Creek Watershed Study
b. sequential sampling agreement
6. GLEA letters to WDNR re. guidance documents.
7. W. Bay, KNC Master Naturalist Program
8. Update on Geneva Lake Task Force.
a. Committee structure
b. Watershed Study
c. Lake Management plan
9. Fishing tournaments.
10. GLEA future
Set next meeting date.
Posted: 06/11/20 office and website .https://www.genevalakemanagement.com/
Theodore Peters, Director,
GENEVA LAKE ENVIRONMENTAL AGENCY
WILLIAMS BAY, WISCONSIN
Board of Director’s Meeting Official Minutes.
June 18, 2020
The GLEA meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm, Thursday June 18, 2020 by Chair L. Lundberg, at the Lecture Hall, Williams Bay High School, Williams Bay WI.
Members Present: L. Lundberg (W. B), R. Pappas (Fontana), ), M.J. Fesenmaier (LG), T. O’Neill (LG) Boyd Whiting (Linn Twn), J. Lovell ( Wal. Twn.)
Also present: Ted Peters (director), D. Oliaro, (staff) Guests; D. Malmin , K. Leith., C. Jones, D. Rone,
Members Absent: J. McMannamy (WB), P. Kenny (Fontana)
Motion by R. Pappas to have L. Lundberg serve as Chairman and J. Lovell serve as Vice-Chair for the next year. CU.
R. Pappas moved to accept the February 20, 2020 minutes. CU
3. Monthly review items.
a. J. Lovell moved to accept the bookkeeper’s Income statement for February, March, April and May 2020. CU
b J. Lovell moved to accept the Balance Sheet for February, March, April, and May 2020. CU.
c. The disbursement Report for February, March, April, and May 2020 were passed around for review.
d. The running total donation report was also passed around for review.
e. Staff reports were reviewed by staff. Motion by M.J. Fesenmaier to accept the staff reports. CU.
Discussion and action on Old Business:
1. a. Peters explained that four individuals are working as Clean Boats Clean Water inspectors at the five municipal launches under the grant. They started Wed June 3 and have worked every Wed and weekend since and attended 4 hours of training. To date they have manned the launches 155 hr. and have contacted over 850 boaters. The State Grant will cover 75% of the anticipated $19,854. Hours may change with the program’s late start and weather, but it is anticipated the state will fund 75% of total cost. There was discussion on having someone put together the records of launches from each community to get a handle on the number of boats annually launched on Geneva Lake.
b. The GLEA received a grant from the Geneva Lake Association in the amount of $4,000 to cost share the local portion of the Clean Boats, Clean Water program. That leaves a projected cost to the Agency of under $1000.
c. Peters is preparing a grant application to the Lake Geneva Garden Club to cost share the Big Foot Creek Watershed project. Grant application is due June 30th.
2. a. Peters updated the board on the development of a hand pulling operation for starry stonewort in Geneva Lake. Two bids have been received with significant differences. He has gone with he has gone with lower of the bids for several reasons. Anticipate hand pulling some between July 7-16th. The contractor will be doing an SSW hand pulling job for the WI DNR the week prior to working on Geneva Lake.
b. The GLEA will not do any chemical treatment in the lake or Trinke Lagoon for SSW. Trinke has received a chemical treatment permit for the lagoon. It appears that they will be hiring an applicator to treat the whole lagoon as they have in the past for several types of plants for navigation.
3. The aquatic plant survey is set for mid-July by the same firm that did it last year. In addition the state may be doing a “meander survey”. There was discussion of possibility running an underwater camera along with the meander survey.
4. Public beach sampling begun the last week of May. There have been some problems with shipping during the pandemic. There is no guarantee next day delivery by UPS. We are exploring other options.
5. Peters made available copies of the WI DNR’s proposed guidance documents for aquatic plant management (SSW) and the use of integrated pest management in control of aquatic plants. He will also send the comments he sent to the DNR supporting those documents.
6. The Master Naturalist program that KNC was hosting and the Peters was to help teach has been canceled for the summer of 2020.
7. Peters gave a brief overview of the efforts of the Geneva Lake Task force. He will send out copies of their agendas, and meeting along with a list of the members. He mentioned the goal of having a watershed plan developed by from field sampling and SEWRPC. He stressed the need to update the lake management plan that looks at what is happening in the lake. He also stated that he feels it is important to update the 20-year-old lake user/resident survey done when the last lake management plan was developed and its importance in understanding where lake management should be going. There was a consensus to encourage the Geneva Lake Use Committee take on this task with the GLEA sharing it experience from the previous survey. A brief discussion followed that included the need to continue to have science and transparency be the backbone of any lake/watershed management effort.
8. L. Lundberg expressed concern over the impact of fishing contest on the lake fisheries and on lake use. Discussion followed. Peters was directed invite someone from the WI DNR to attend our next meeting to answer questions on fish tournaments.
9. GLEA future was discussed with comments about board assistance in developing a plan for what is to happen come April 2021 when Peters wishes step down as director.
Next meeting set for July 16, 2020 time and place to be determined.
Motion to adjourn by J. Lovell at 8:12 pm.
Dated June 19, 2020. Upon approval posted at the GLEA office and website
These minutes were recorded and transcribed by Theodore W. Peters, Director GLEA.