Monthly business meeting of the Geneva Lake Environmental Agency,
Thursday June 17, 2021 at 6:30 pm 

at the Lake Geneva City Council Chambers.

Mask and social distancing will be in effect for those attending in-person.


The link to attend this meeting is:


You can also dial in using your phone. United States: +1 (872) 240-3412

Access Code: 928-481-237

New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts:

Call Meeting of GLEA Board of Directors to Order – Chairman L. Lundberg.
Roll Call.

General Business:
1. Approve minutes of June 3, 2021 meeting’s minutes.
2. Monthly Review Items:
a. Action on May 2021 Income Statement.
b. Action on May 2021 Balance Sheet
c. Bookkeeper’s Disbursement Report
d. Bookkeeper’s ongoing Donation Report
e. Action on Staff Report:
-Director’s report for May – June 2021
-Intern’s report for May – June 2021

Discussion and possible action on the following Business.
1) Updates on CD3 cleaning station and CBCW.

2) Up-date on Trinke Lagoon Dredging

3)Recommendation from the Big Foot Creek Watershed Study.

4) Shared Services Agreement with City of Lake Geneva re; CD3 unit.

5) GovHR agreement.
6) Salary range for new Director.
7) GLEA’s future after July 1.
8) Director’s action plan on summer projects.
9) GLEA action on summer projects.
10) Set next meeting date.
11) Adjournment.
Posted: June 14, 2021 at GLEA office and website .
and at the City of Lake Geneva Website,
Theodore Peters, Director,



Board of Director’s Meeting Official Minutes.

June 17, 2021

The GLEA board meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm, Thursday June 17, 2021, by Chair Lundberg at the City of Lake Geneva’s council chambers in a GoToMeeting format.

Members/staff in-person present: M.J. Fesenmaier (L.G.), T.  O’Neill (LG)  L. Lundberg (W. B.) R. Umans (W.B), T. Peters (Director).

In-person guest, T. Dunn ( L.G.), D. Snyder( Trinke project  Engineer).

Members virtually present:   P. Kenny (Fontana), J. Lovell (Walworth Twn.), M. Messer (intern).

Guest virtually present:  T. Cavanaugh (Trinke), S. Bence (WUWM) and two unidentified guests.

Members Absent:  R. Pappas (Fontana), Boyd Whiting (Linn Twn),  J. Weiss (Linn).


There were no comments from the public.


General Business:


  1. The June 3 minutes were not sent out.  Motion by R. Umans to table action on the June 3 minutes till the next meeting. CU

   2.  Monthly review items.

    a.  R. Umans moved to accept the Income Statement for May  2021. CU.

    b.  M. Fesenmaier  moved to accept the Balanced Sheet for May 2021. CU.

    c. The May  2021 disbursement and donation reports were distributed. Peters noted nothing out of              the order.    No action.

   d.  Peters reviewed his report giving an overview noting the CD3 station was moved from Linn Pier         launch to Fontana’s launch 6/12/21.  He mentioned a meeting he had with a Buena Vista                           representative and their engineer to discuss stormwater management planning they are doing         in Buena Vista.  He also mentioned a meeting with WI DNR, WI State Lab of Hygiene and the                  Walworth County Public Health to review  beach sampling protocol and update us on some                changes to the State’s recording and posting protocol.  He talked about the potential for some            of Walworth County’s interns doing  job shadowing with the GLEA during the summer. 

       M. Messer reviewed his report.

   M. J. Fesenmaier moved to accept the staff reports. CU.


  1. An update on CD3 operation and maintenance was given.   No problems.  The Clean Boats Clean Waters staff is up to two, in addition to M. Messer putting in some hours.  A weekly report on the statios activities was prepared and sent out.


2  D. Snyder reviewed the Trinke Lagoon dredging proposal. Trinke has given permission to use the airstrip for dewatering which could reduce the cost of the project by $100,00. He stressed the need to start looking for funding and initiating the permit process.  He expects the permitting may take all summer.  We should consider budgeting $15,000 for permits which is part of the $700,000.  It may be likely that dredging will not start till next year. He feels a pre-permit meeting should be held with all parties to discuss the project and the permits.  The exact depth of sediment in the lagoon needs to be measured to get a more accurate cost.  It was mentioned that Peters needs to talk to potential funding sources for the dredging and try to get a financial commitment out of them.  T. Cavanagh was asked how much Trinke would be willing to contribute.  T. Cavanaugh mentioned that he is no long the president of the Trinke POA and that he could not answer that question.  It was suggested that Trinke would have to dredge the lagoon for navigation in the future, and that perhaps they should pay more.  

M.J. Fesenmaier moved, seconded by R. Umans to direct Ted to write a letter to the Trinke Board asking them to make a financial commitment beyond the use of the air strip. Discussion followed on getting an accurate cost for the project.  To do so, a measurement of the sediment level in the lagoon needs to be done.  Once that is known, a more accurate cost of the dredging can be ascertained.  Need to have an accurate project cost before we start asking for financial support.  Motion CU.  The new president of the Trinke POA is Barry Machado,  N1738 Wildwood Dr.  Lake Geneva, WI  53147.


  1. Peters discussed the final report on the Big Foot Creek Watershed study and that he sent out a summary packet of to the board.  RES, the engineers, believe the TP and iron is not from the land use, groundwater contamination or geological sources.  They felt it is from conditions in the wetland soils releasing  phosphorus and iron.  They have designed a sallow wetland pond filled with limestone to treat the water, complexing the phosphorus and iron,  allowing it to settle out.  Peters reviewed the cost figures and suggested that the decision needs to be made on how much phosphorus do we want to have removed, which will directly impact the cost.  The proposed pond is 5 ac. for $760,000+  for potential iron reduction of 42% and a TP reduction of 7-30%.  There were questions if any other alternatives were considered, what is the annual O&M costs, duration of the system, and what to do with the limestone over time. Peters needs to send out the complete report and ask the authors these questions.    There was some discussion on having the creek empty into the lagoon before going into the lake.

Motion by J. Lovell to table action until the report gets sent out and the questions are answered.


    4. It has been recommended by the City of Lake Geneva’s attorney that they should have a Shared Service Agreement with the GLEA for the placement of the CD3 unit at the LG launch.  M. J. Fesenmaier reviewed the journey through the City Council and committees and feels that it will be acted on at the June 28 Council meeting.  Questions about why the GLEA and not the unit’s owner and why an SSA?  M.J. Fesenmaier moved to authorize Peters to sign the SSA if it comes to be. CU.  Copies of the SSA will be sent to the board and our attorney before signing. 


   5. Discussion on the hiring of GovHR USA to help search for a Director.  Using their Professional Outreach service for $3000 and additional cost of $2,000 for advertising.  A P. Kenny motion to have Peters sign the agreement. CU   P. Kenny was thanked for his assistance with Jackie and her insight and recommendations.

   6. No action was taken on establishing a salary and benefit package for the Director’s position.  It was recommended to list the position without an actual dollar figure for salary and benefits and if needed, list it as a range.

   7.  With the uncertainty of filling the Director’s position after June 30, there was a consensus that the GLEA will carry on with the Admin. Assist. an intern and Peters as a waged staff person.  Perhaps someone might offer to work on a part time-interim basis until someone is hired full time.  More on this as things move along.

   8.  Peters mentioned that he is working on a ”transition plan” that will list the major projects that will need to be completed and carried on for at least the next year. Peters expressed concern about having the staff to conduct the 7/19 – 7/23 plant survey.  Peters will be busy with family for some of this time.  Some board members said they would help.  Peters is to keep them informed.

   9. The next meeting data was set for July 22, the fourth Thur. of July at 6:30 pm.  Peters is to check if GWC is available for the meeting.  He will check and get back to the board. 

  10. J. Lovell moved to adjourn at 8:10 pm. 

M. Fesenmaier’ mentioned that Lake Geneva is looking to establish a pay for launch by kiosk like what they do for parking. 


Dated June 22, 2021.  Upon approval, posted at the GLEA office and website

These minutes were recorded and transcribed by Theodore W. Peters, Director GLEA.


Approved 7/22/21